380 MFAC Ellicott Complex
Buffalo NY 14261-0026
Phone: +1 716-645-0407
The Institute for European and Mediterranean Archaeology, or IEMA, is a Signature Center of Excellence within the College of Arts and Sciences, University at Buffalo, State University of New York. It was created in 2006 by an interdisciplinary faculty, drawn from departments across the university.
IEMA with its departments of anthropology and classics is housed in the Ellicott Complex at UB North Campus which can be see on our homepage in the background (foreground outdoor Greek-style amphitheater at Baird Point which is located on the southern shore of Lake LaSalle at UB North Campus).
Peter F. Biehl
IEMA Associate Director
Stephen L. Dyson
Core elements of IEMA’s mission:
- Coordinate, facilitate, and promote the research and teaching activities of faculty and students at the University at Buffalo concerned with the archaeological investigation of the European and Mediterranean areas.
- Promote the study and teaching of the archaeology of the Mediterranean and European areas in the Western New York/Southern Ontario region, North America, and beyond.
- Establish and maintain the University at Buffalo as a leading national and international center for research and teaching in the archaeology of the European and Mediterranean areas.
- Educate the general public about the archaeology of Europe and the Mediterranean and the significance of the experiences and contributions of the peoples who have inhabited these areas in the past.
Webdesign: Renee Ruffino
Webprogramming: Christine Kowalski and Mike Kukla
Webmaster: Heather Rosch
Photo: Peter F. Biehl Baird Point at UB North Campus with the Ellicott Complex which houses IEMA in the background
Copyright: © 2008 IEMA, University at Buffalo, all rights reserved.
Baird Point is an outdoor, Greek-style amphitheater located on the southern shore of Lake LaSalle. It was a gift to the university from the Baird Foundation and the Cameron Baird Foundation. The marble columns on the concrete platforms were once part of the old Federal Reserve Bank in downtown Buffalo, and for some years lay outside old Baird Hall on UB’s south campus before their relocation to the lake. The columns were dedicated as a memorial to servicemen and servicewomen. Baird Point also serves as a stage for the bands that play at student Springfest and Fallfest celebrations.
Architect: Peter Castle
Completion date: 1978
The Ellicott Complex is a 38-building mega-structure consisting of dormitories, dining facilities, academic departments, administrative offices, and classrooms. It was designed to house 3,200 students in the British university style, where six ‘quads’ (Fargo, Porter, Red Jacket, Richmond, Spaulding, and Wilkeson) would each focus on a subject matter and include faculty as residents, tied to each other by an academic and service core (Millard Fillmore Academic Center).
Joseph Ellicott Joseph Ellicott (1760-1826), the first resident agent with the Holland Land Company, is credited with picking the site for, and planning, the City of Buffalo. The individual buildings that make up the Ellicott Complex are named for figures prominent in New York State history.
Architect: Davis, Brody, and Associates of New York City; Milstein, Wittek, Davis Associates of Buffalo
Completion date: 1974